Matthew Levitt’s excellent analysis in Politico paints a portrait of the relationship between IS and AQ as they pragmatically work against the “far” enemy in the West.
- The Kouachi brothers traveled to Yemen and met with AQAP elements.
- AQAP claimed responsibility for the Paris attack.
- Coulibaly claimed he worked in concert with the Kouachi brothers, and pledged allegiance to ISIS.
- AQAP called Coulibaly’s attack a coincidence.
- The wives of the Kouachi brothers may have spoken to the wife of Coulibaly.