Dr. Thomas Rid of the War Studies Department provides an overview of cyberterrorism, including
- The disputed definition of cyberterrorism, which Rid defines as – “attacking critical infrastructure in the form of sabotage terrorizing people through the use of computer code.”
- No militant groups have executed any cyberterrorism attacks, but such an attack may happen.
- As of now, those who have the intent, do not have the capabilities, and those who have the capabilities, do not have the intent.
- The only violent cyber attack has been Stuxnet.
- The categories of cyber attacks (crime, espionage, subversion/hacktivism, sabotage)
- In order to execute a cyberterrorism attack, the party must have sufficient target intelligence and engineering skills.