This video by the International Centre for the Study of Radicalisation features Alexander Meleagrou-Hitchens, the ICSR’s head of research, who provides an overview of Al-Shabaab. Key findings include:
1) Its objective is to take over Somalia and establish Sharia law in Somalia.
2) The leadership of Al-Shabaab is aligned with Al-Qaeda.
3) Al-Shabaab has fought guerrilla wars against Western forces since 2006.
4) Al-Shabaab has been routed from its strongholds in Mogadishu and Kismayu by AMISOM.
5) Al-Shabaab is still a regional and domestic threat – as observed in the Westgate attack.
6) Al-Shabaab runs a “Western outreach program” for foreign fighters.