Great articles by DoD Buzz:
“Dominating the headlines on DoD Buzz this year were battles over funding for military equipment, particularly the sturdy but aging A-10 attack aircraft, a war of words between the incoming chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee and the Pentagon press secretary, and what may come of all those blast-resistant trucks left over from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Here’s a list of our 10 most popular stories from 2014. We hope you like looking back at them as much as we enjoyed reporting and writing about them — which we’ll continue to do in the New Year.
The U.S. Army’s top leaders defended their proposal to strip the Army National Guard of its AH-64 Apaches attack helicopters as part of a cost-saving move.
U.S. lawmakers late Tuesday unveiled a $1 trillion federal budget deal that benefits both fourth– and fifth-generation fighter jets, even the Vietnam-era A-10 aircraft.
The Navy is implementing specific design and engineering improvements to its Littoral Combat Ship following the construction of the first two vessels, the Freedom and the Independence.
U.S. warplanes early Friday morning launched airstrikes against Islamic militants in northern Iraq, a Pentagon official said.
The Air Force’s B-2 Spirit is receiving a technological upgrade to allow the service’s bat-winged, nuclear capable bomber to fly through 2058.
Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James has placed a $41 billion bet that Congress will ease off on the mandatory spending cuts in the sequester process and also go along with a White House proposal to raise taxes.
The U.S. commander in South Korea on Friday praised the vital close air support role performed by the A-10 Thunderbolt in deterring North Korean aggression but backed the Air Force decision to retire the aircraft.
John McCain, the senior senator from Arizona and former Republican presidential candidate, has added his voice to the growing chorus of lawmakers seeking to block the Pentagon’s plans to retire the A-10 attack plane.
Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, called Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel’s chief spokesman an “idiot” last week during an interview with a North Carolina radio talk show host.
U.S. troops could have to destroy thousands of their own “excess” vehicles in Afghanistan if buyers can’t be found and the services don’t reverse course on bringing them home, the top U.S. commandeer said Thursday.”